construction report Sdkfz 247b

The chassis

After I had shortlisted the Sdkfz 247 b, I began to look for chassis.
Default was all-wheel drive in any case.
I quickly came across Land Rover. And one day, an acquaintance told me that a Land Rover Discovery V 8 automatic (which later proved to be very helpful) was at his scrap dealer, body completely destroyed (rollover damage), but chassis i.O.
So the thing was bought.
The acquaintance then began to strip the chassis. It was also extended from 2540 mm to 3000 mm wheelbase.
All around was then welded a subframe of rectangular tube, which then also served as a receptacle for the body.
In the meantime, I had already built a carton model on a 1:20 scale using a 4-side view found on the internet.
Then a model was built in 1:10 scale.

Yes, and then we started.
A CAD drawing was made for the main parts of the body. Based on this, the sheets were then cut and folded. Finally, but then came many item drawings to it.

The body

It was used steel sheet with a maximum of 3mm thickness, in addition to the weight savings also, so as not to come into conflict with the German War Weapons Control Act (KwKG).
Due to the bends only very few extra stiffeners ,made of square tube, had to be inserted.

Disassembly, coating

Then everything was dismantled, sandblasted and powder coated. For this extra special powder was made.
(this was probably the first "armored" vehicle in the world, which was completely powder coated) :-)
The reason for this special powder:
Color pigments used to be far less UV resistant than they are today. Anyone looking at color pics from World War II sees, for example, that panzergrau (a very dark gray, RAL 7021) painted vehicles in Russia are light gray. And that's not just the dust on the vehicles. No, the colors are faded by the sunlight. I wanted to show this effect, because for me there is nothing more boring than a vehicle model like "fresh from the store". And that worked that way too.
This "patina" (and of course the complete interior design) it was then probably what did not quite so expert people at fairs or events then often ask:
"Where did you find the one, in which barn was that?"

Final assembly

And then everything had to be reassembled.
The biggest problem at the end was the vehicle electrics, but we also mastered that at some point.
After 17 months of construction, the engine started and I was able to do my first laps.

I put a lot of emphasis on the interior, which was then perfected over the years more and more. Finally, the vehicle was also equipped with a complete on-board radio system (headphone and throat microphone) and switchable radio link (Cb radio in 2 replica backpacking radios) to the staff.

Finally, I have to mention, of course, that I could not have done all this without the support of advice and action.
Therefore at this point again many thanks to:
First, of course, to my wife, who made this "adventure" possible.

- Dieter L. aus Wildeshausen
- Fa. KMH Bassum
- Fa. Jünemann & Menk Bremen
- Fa. Diewitz Delmenhorst
- Fa. Renken Bremen
- Fa. Kolless Bremen
- Fa. B+F Wildeshausen
- Fa. Thiel Baumaschinen Dötlingen
- Huntemann Werbung Delmenhorst
- Landrover-Farm Scheeßel
and mucch more :-)